Parmesan-Pesto Chicken Noodle Soup
- 4 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dried shell pasta
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 cups bite-size pieces cooked chicken or turkey
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices Italian bread
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, onion, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, and pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and zucchini.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in chicken.
- Heat through.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spread bread slices with pesto.
- Sprinkle each slice with cheese.
- Place bread, spread sides up, on a baking sheet.
- Broil for 2 minutes.
- Serve soup with toasted bread.