Oven-"Fried" Fish Fillets
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, or olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds thick fish fillets
- 1 1/2 cups milk, buttermilk, or yogurt
- 2 cups bread crumbs, for dredging
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, quartered, for serving
- Heat the oven to 450 F with a rack in the top third.
- Smear half of the butter on a baking sheet.
- While the oven heats, cut the fillets crosswise into 4 or 8 manageable pieces and put them in a bowl with the milk; let them soak for a few minutes.
- Put the bread crumbs on a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- When the oven is hot, remove the fish from the milk and let some of the liquid drip off.
- While the fillets are still wet from the milk, dredge them on both sides in the bread crumbs, pressing them into the fish, then shaking off any excess.
- Transfer the fillets to the prepared pan and drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over the fish.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the fish is crisp on the outside and tender and opaque on the inside, but not dry, 8 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Serve immediately with the lemon wedges.