Old-Fashioned Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups vegetable juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups cubed potato (3 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- Place flour in a resealable plastic bag.
- Add meat cubes, a few at a time, shaking to coat.
- In a large saucepan or pot brown meat in hot oil.
- Drain fat.
- Stir in vegetable juice, broth, onion, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, marjoram, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and return to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes more.
- Discard bay leaf.