New England Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 14.5-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup half-and-half, light cream, or whole milk
- Crisp-cooked, chopped up bacon (optional)
- Sliced green onion (optional)
- In a slow cooker combine all ingredients except half-and-half, bacon and green onion.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Using a potato masher, mash sweet potatoes until desired consistency.
- Stir in half-and-half.
- Sprinkle each serving with bacon and green onion.