Mustard-Herb Beef Stew
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon snipped parsley
- 1 teaspoon snipped thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut in 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 to 10 ounces cippollini onions, peeled, or 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in wedges
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 8-ounce package cremini mushrooms, halved if large
- 8 tiny Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 14-ounce can beef broth
- 1 12-ounce bottle dark porter beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 bay leaf
- In large bowl combine flour, parsley, thyme, pepper, and salt.
- Add beef, a few pieces at a time.
- Stir to coat.
- Reserve leftover flour mixture.
- In 6-quart Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and cook until brown.
- Stir in onions, carrots, mushrooms, and potatoes.
- Cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, mustard, and remaining flour mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Discard bay leaf.