Mushroom And Barley Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, warm up the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and thyme.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the barley and give it a good stir to coat it.
- Now pour in the stock.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the barley is tender but still chewy.
- Season with salt and pepper.