- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large potatoes or turnips, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into small chunks
- 1 bunch sturdy leafy greens like kale or escarole, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Put the oil in a pot over medium heat.
- When hot, add the onion, carrot, and celery; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften and begin to darken around the edges, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are all brown in spots, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add 6 cups water, stirring to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, bring the mixture to a boil, and then lower the heat so the mixture bubbles steadily.
- Cook, stirring every now and then, until the tomatoes break down a bit, 15 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and greens and raise the heat if necessary to keep the mixture at a steady bubble.
- Cook until all the vegetables are very tender, another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve topped with the cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.