Mexican Posole Soup With Avocado
- 1 2- to 2 1/2-pound deli-roasted chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 14.5-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained and cut up
- 1 15-ounce can yellow or white hominy, drained
- 1 10-ounce package frozen whole-kernel corn
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, undrained
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Toppings: snipped cilantro, halved grape tomatoes, sliced avocado, lime wedges and/or corn tortilla chips
- In a Dutch oven cook onion, cumin, and chili powder in hot oil over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add chicken and all remaining ingredients except toppings and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with toppings.