Mexican Chicken Soup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2-oz) can fire-roasted whole tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (dairy-free or regular) (optional)
- 2 medium Hass avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper and saute until fragrant for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, broth, coconut milk, vinegar, cumin, oregano, paprika, and salt.
- Stir to combine, cover, and bring to a light simmer over medium-high heat.
- Once simmering, reduce the heat and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- When the soup is done, divide evenly among 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with 1/4 cup of the cheese (if using), one-quarter of the avocado slices, and a sprinkle of cilantro.