Mediterranean Potato Salad
- 1 pound waxy or all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons any wine vinegar, or more as needed
- 1/2 cup olive oil, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, chopped
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Put the potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover them by 1 inch; add a large pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the water bubbles.
- Cook the potatoes until they are just beginning to get tender, 5 to 7 minutes, then add the green beans.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender but still firm and not at all mushy and the green beans are brightly colored and crisp-tender, another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain in a colander, rinse in cold water for 1 minute, and drain again.
- While the potatoes are cooking, put the vinegar, oil, garlic, shallot, mustard, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a bowl combine.
- Add the potatoes and green beans along with the eggs, olives, and tomatoes and toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve.