Mediterranean Meatball Soup
- 3/4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons snipped rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound 90% or higher lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 2 medium yellow and/or red sweet peppers, seeded and cut into bite-size strips
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix bread crumbs, egg, half of the garlic, half of the rosemary, black pepper and ground beef in a bowl.
- Shape meat mixture into 1 1/2-inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add carrot, sweet pepper, onion, and remaining garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients except spinach and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Add meatballs to barley mixture.
- Heat through.
- Stir in spinach just before serving.