Manhattan Clam Chowder
- 1 pint shucked clams or two 6 1/2-ounce cans minced clams
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot (1 small)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 8-ounce bottle clam juice or 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed red potato
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons purchased cooked bacon pieces or cooked chopped up bacon
- Chop clams (if using), reserving juice.
- Strain clam juice to remove bits of shell. (Or, drain canned clams, reserving the juice.) If necessary, add enough water to the reserved clam juice to equal 1 1/2 cups.
- In a saucepan cook celery, onion, and carrot in hot oil until tender.
- Stir in reserved 1 1/2 cups clam juice and bottled clam juice.
- Stir in potato, thyme, cayenne pepper, and black pepper.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in clams, undrained tomatoes, and bacon.
- Return to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.