- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida (optional)
- 1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, finely chopped
- 3 medium green unripe mangoes, peeled and diced into 3/4-inch pieces, pits discarded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- In a pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat, warm the oil, then add the fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, black mustard seeds, and nigella seeds.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the turmeric, asafetida (if using), and chile.
- Stir in the mangoes and salt.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water and raise the heat to high to bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and mix well.
- Remove from the heat.
- Transfer to a medium container and refrigerate for 1 hour before eating.