Luck Of The Irish Stew
- 1 pound boneless lamb or boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium potatoes (1 1/2 pounds), peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, sliced 1/2-inch thick (3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Sprigs of thyme (optional)
- Combine lamb, broth, onions, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Skim off the fat.
- Add potatoes, carrots, dried thyme, and basil and simmer, covered, for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir together the cold water and flour.
- Add flour mixture to stew and cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Garnish with thyme.