Lotus Root And Jammy Tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 whole cloves
- Seeds from 3 green cardamom pods, crushed into a powder, or 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, finely chopped
- 1 12-ounce package frozen sliced lotus root
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the cumin seeds and cook 1 minute.
- Swirl in the turmeric and add the cloves, cardamom, and onion.
- Spread the onion in an even layer in the pan and cook 6 to 8 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high, add the tomatoes and chile, and cook, stirring continuously, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the lotus root and salt, mixing them thoroughly into the tomato-onion mixture.
- Cover and cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the salt if needed, then remove the skillet from the heat and let the dish sit for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the cilantro before serving.