- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup brown or green lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1 can white navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- Toppings: grated cheddar cheese, chopped cilantro, salsa, sour cream or Greek yogurt
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, warm the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and push them around every once in a while until they soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and cumin, give everything a stir and allow the spices to cook for a minute or two.
- Add the lentils, bay leaves and water.
- Bring to a gentle boil and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, the tomatoes with their juice and the stock.
- Let it bubble away gently for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the chili over rice or with a piece of cornbread.
- Serve with standard chili toppings.