Lemon Cardamom Apple Cake
- 3 Gala or Fuji apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter an 11- by 7-inch glass baking dish.
- In a bowl, toss the apple cubes with cinnamon.
- Arrange them in the baking pan.
- Set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom and salt.
- Using the bowl from the apples, whisk together the eggs, applesauce, lemon juice, oil and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir.
- Add the buttermilk and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter over the apples.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool, then cut into squares.