Japanese Cabbage Stew
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground pork
- 1 cup chopped bok choy leaves or spinach leaves
- 1 cup chopped red sweet pepper (2 small)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sake or cream sherry
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- Lightly coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Mix coleslaw mix, ground pork, bok choy, sweet peppers, onion, celery, green onion, red miso paste, salt, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Transfer mixture to prepared cooker.
- In a bowl whisk together broth and remaining ingredients.
- Pour broth mixture over pork mixture and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.