Italian-Style Lentil Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 32-ounce box reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 ounces dried multigrain penne pasta or multigrain elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a saucepan or 4-quart Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, the water, lentils, Italian seasoning, and pepper to onion mixture and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste.
- Stir in frozen peas and carrots and pasta.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese.