Italian Spinach Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 2 14.5-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 cup peeled and chopped potato
- 2 9-ounce packages spinach
- 2 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 tomatoes, quartered, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved
- In a Dutch oven heat butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add sherry (if using).
- Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add broth and potato and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Set aside 2 cups of the spinach.
- Stir remaining spinach, half at a time, into potato mixture just until wilted.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer potato mixture, half at a time, to a food processor or blender.
- Cover and process or blend until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to Dutch oven.
- Heat through.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Top each serving with reserved 2 cups spinach, the watercress, tomatoes, and cheese.