Indian Cauliflower Soup With Garam Masala
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 32-ounce carton reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 of a head cauliflower (14 ounces), cut up
- 2 cups peeled and cubed Yukon Gold or red-skinned potato
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala (or 3/4 teaspoon curry powder and 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- Cayenne pepper
- Snipped chives or parsley (optional)
- Lightly coat a saucepan with cooking spray.
- Heat saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in broth, cauliflower, potato, carrot, ginger, and garam masala.
- Simmer, covered, 12 minutes and cool slightly.
- Transfer vegetable mixture, half at a time, to a blender and blend until nearly smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to saucepan.
- Stir in yogurt.
- Heat through (do not boil).
- Season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Garnish each serving with chives.