Hot-Stuff Kielbasa-Cheese Soup
- 1 large onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 14.5-ounce can chicken broth
- 3 cups peeled and cubed potato
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 8 ounces fully cooked kielbasa (Polish sausage), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese or coarsely ground black pepper (optional)
- In a Dutch oven cook onion and celery in hot butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth.
- Add potato, carrot, and kielbasa and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in milk.
- Heat and stir until mixture almost comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat.
- Add 3 cups cheese and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle each serving with cheese or pepper.