Hot African Stew
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 1/4 cups chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 6 tiny new potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 19-ounce can fava beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Light sour cream (optional)
- Snipped chives (optional)
- In a saucepan or Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and sweet pepper and cook until golden and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Add broth and peanuts.
- Bring to boiling.
- Stir in new potatoes and sweet potato.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans and undrained tomatoes.
- Heat through.
- Top each serving with sour cream and chives.