Hearty Garlic And Snap Pea Soup
- 4 cloves garlic or 1 or 2 bulbs spring garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly slivered (feathery tops reserved)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped fennel tops
- Plain yogurt (optional)
- Olive oil (optional)
- In a saucepan cook garlic in 2 tablespoons hot oil over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add onion and cook until tender.
- Add potatoes, broth, and the water.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook, covered, 15 to 18 minutes,.
- Cool soup slightly.
- Transfer soup in batches to a food processor or blender.
- Cover and process or blend until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
- Add fennel and peas and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Top with fennel tops.
- Spoon yogurt over and drizzle with olive oil.