Ham And Lima Soup
- 1 1/2 cups dried giant lima beans, cannellini (white kidney) beans, or navy beans
- 6 cups water
- 2 cooked smoked pork hocks or 1 to 1 1/2 pounds meaty ham bones
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 14.5-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrot
- 1 1/2 cups sliced leek (4 medium)
- 2 tablespoons snipped rosemary or 2 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups torn kale or spinach leaves
- Rinse beans.
- In a Dutch oven combine beans and water.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients except kale/spinach to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 11 to 13 hours or on high for 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours.
- To serve, remove pork hocks and cool.
- Meanwhile mash beans slightly.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Chop meat off hocks and stir meat and kale into soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.