Grilled Or Broiled Tomatoes
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, or more as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare a grill or turn on the broiler; medium-high and the rack 4 inches from the fire.
- Core the tomatoes and cut each horizontally into 3 or 4 thick slices.
- Spread them out on a baking sheet, drizzle or brush with the olive oil, turning to coat them all over, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- The goal is to end up with tomatoes that are slightly charred and soft but not mushy.
- To serve, transfer the tomatoes to a serving platter or individual plates, sprinkle with the cheese, and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.