Grilled Or Broiled Shrimp Burgers
- Vegetable oil as needed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Hamburger buns or hard rolls, toasted, optional
- Prepare a grill or turn on the broiler; medium-high and the rack 4 inches from the heat source.
- Clean the grates.
- Grease a baking sheet with a thin film of the oil.
- Combine the garlic and one-third of the shrimp in a food processor and process to a puree, stopping the machine to scrape down the sides of the container as necessary.
- Add the remaining shrimp along with the onion, bell pepper, a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and the parsley.
- Pulse until the shrimp is chopped, but not too finely.
- Shape the mixture into 4 patties and put on wax or parchment paper.
- Brush the grill or the patties lightly with the oil.
- To grill: Put the burgers directly over the fire.
- To broil: Put them on the prepared baking sheet and under the heat source.
- Cook, undisturbed, until the side exposed to the heat develops a browned crust, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn the burgers and repeat on the other side, cooking until the shrimp has turned opaque throughout, another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve on buns, with mayonnaise, ketchup, or any other condiments.