- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 14.5-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- Sour cream (optional)
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add meat and onion and cook 5 minutes.
- Add flour, paprika, and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients except potatoes and sour cream.
- Simmer, covered, for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes and simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes more.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Top each serving with sour cream.