- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 8 carrots (1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 sweet potato
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- Ground black pepper
- In a skillet heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, sugar, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring twice.
- Add ginger and cook, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel carrots and sweet potato and cut in 1-inch pieces.
- In a saucepan or Dutch oven combine carrots, sweet potato, and broth.
- Simmer, covered, 40 minutes.
- Add half of the caramelized onions and cool slightly.
- Transfer vegetable mixture, 2 cups at a time, to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan.
- Add half-and-half.
- Heat through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top each serving with remaining caramelized onions.