- 2 pounds tomatoes, cored, or one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, including the juice
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 2 or 3 thick bread slices, crusts removed, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons any wine vinegar, or more to taste
- 1 medium garlic clove, cut in half
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped, for garnish
- 2 scallions, chopped, for garnish
- Cut the tomatoes into chunks if they are large and put them in a blender or food processor with the cucumber, bread, oil, vinegar, garlic, and 1 cup water; sprinkle with salt and pepper and pulse the machine on and off until smooth.
- If the mixture seems too thick, thin it by gradually adding water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, or vinegar, and serve right away or refrigerate and eat within a couple of hours.
- Garnish each serving with the bell pepper, scallions, and a drizzle of olive oil.