Garlicky White Bean Soup
- 1 1/2 cups any dried white beans, rinsed and picked over
- 1 medium garlic bulb, cloves peeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for garnish
- Put the beans, garlic, and rosemary in a pot with 6 cups water over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the mixture bubbles steadily.
- Cook, stirring every 20 minutes for, 45 to 90 minutes depending on the bean and whether or they are soaked first.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir to break them up even more.
- Mash or puree some or all of the soup.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning with more salt or pepper, and serve with a drizzle of olive oil on top of each bowl.