Garlicky Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the sweet potatoes and grate them by hand or with the grating disk of a food processor to get 5 packed cups; save any extra for another use.
- Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add half the sweet potatoes, spread them out in an even layer, and sprinkle with half of the garlic and some salt and pepper.
- Cook, without stirring, until the potatoes begin to brown on the bottom and release easily from the skillet, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Continue cooking, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes, until the potatoes are mostly golden brown and tender but not mushy; begin checking after 5 minutes.
- When they are ready, transfer them to a serving plate.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Add the second batch of sweet potatoes to the first and toss to combine.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning, toss again, and serve.