Full-Flavored Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 large onions, cut in half
- 4 large carrots, cut into large pieces
- 4 large celery stalks, cut into large pieces
- 1 large potato, cut into chunks
- 6 garlic cloves
- 15 button mushrooms
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the soy sauce and all of the vegetables, the bay leaves, and the parsley in a stockpot with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 gallon water and turn the heat to high.
- Bring just to a boil and then lower the heat so that the mixture bubbles steadily.
- Cook, undisturbed, until the all the vegetables are very tender, at least 30 minutes.
- To develop more intense flavors, let the stock cook for up to 2 hours; check on it once in a while to make sure it's still bubbling.
- When the stock is done, turn off the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Put a strainer or colander over a pot and pour in the stock.
- Press down on the vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible from them.
- Sprinkle the stock with salt and pepper and discard the vegetables.
- Use the stock immediately or refrigerate it for up to 5 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.