Fruit And Nut Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14.5-ounce cans tomatoes, undrained and cut up
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-ounce can chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups chopped green, red, and/or yellow sweet pepper
- 2 cooking apples, cored and chopped
- 2 4-ounce cans diced green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- In a Dutch oven cook meat, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender.
- Drain fat.
- Stir undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, and broth into meat mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients except almonds and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Top each serving with almonds.