French Onion And Beef Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 10.5-ounce cans condensed French onion soup
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 8 ounces cooked roast beef, cubed
- 4 1-inch slices French bread
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- In a large skillet heat butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in French onion soup, the water, and beef and boil, stirring mixture occasionally.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Broil 4 inches from the heat 1 minute.
- Top the toasted sides of bread slices with cheese.
- Broil 1 minute more.
- Top each serving with cheese bread slices.