French Lentil, Leek, And Mushroom Soup
- 1 32-ounce carton reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups French lentils or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups sliced cremini and/or button mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots or 2 yellow beets, peeled and coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced leek (2 medium)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chopped kale or chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 14.5-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup purchased basil pesto
- In a Dutch oven bring broth and the water to boiling.
- Add lentils.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- In a skillet cook mushrooms, carrots, and leek in hot oil over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Stir mushroom mixture, kale, thyme, salt, and pepper into the lentil mixture.
- Simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- Stir in drained tomatoes.
- Heat through.
- Top each serving with a spoonful of pesto.