French Country Soup
- 8 ounces dried navy, Great Northern, or cannellini (white kidney) beans
- 1 pound lean beef or lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rinse beans.
- Place beans in a Dutch oven.
- Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- In a slow cooker combine beans and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- Discard bay leaves.