Fireside Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck pot roast, fat trimmed
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, seeded butternut squash cut into 1-inch pieces (1 pound)
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 9-ounce package frozen Italian green beans
- Cut meat into 1-inch pieces.
- In a slow cooker combine all ingredients except water, cornstarch and green beans.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
- If using low setting, turn to high setting.
- In a bowl combine cold water and cornstarch.
- Stir into mixture in cooker.
- Stir in frozen green beans.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with pepper.