- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 6 oz rice vermicelli (half of most packages)
- 6 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup julienned red pepper
- handful of cilantro
- handful of bean sprouts
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring often, until they're translucent and fragrant.
- Add the stock, water and coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While that's happening, soak the noodles in a large bowl of lukewarm water.
- Once the chicken has been cooking for 20 minutes, drain the noodles and add them to the soup.
- Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve in large bowls and top with carrots, peppers, cilantro and bean sprouts.