- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf or curly parsley
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- for serving: toasted pita bread, sliced cucumber, tahini sauce
- The night before, place chickpeas in a large bowl and cover with cold water.
- In the morning, drain, rinse and pat the beans dry and store in the refrigerator until ready to use them.
- Pour the chickpeas into a food processor, then add the onions, garlic, parsley, flour, salt, cumin, coriander and chili powder.
- Process until the mixture is a coarse meal, scraping down the sides occasionally.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Shape the mixture into 6 to 8 patties with damp hands.
- Warm the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the burgers and cook until lightly golden brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown, another 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve in toasted pitas with sliced cucumber and tahini sauce.