Dahi Toast (Spiced Yogurt Sandwich)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 3 sprigs curry leaves, stripped
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 small Indian green chiles or serrano chiles, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of red chile powder
- 12 large slices white sourdough bread
- Ketchup, for serving (optional)
- Cilantro Chutney, for serving (optional)
- In a butter warmer or pan over low heat, warm the oil.
- Once the oil is warm but not super hot, add the black mustard seeds and remove the pan from the heat after a few seconds.
- Add the curry leaves, making sure they get fully coated in the oil.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the yogurt, onion, cilantro, green chiles, salt, black pepper, and red chile powder.
- Spread the yogurt mixture over 6 slices of the bread and top with the remaining slices to make 6 sandwiches.
- In a large pan over medium heat, warm 1 teaspoon oil.
- Once the oil begins to shimmer, reduce the heat to low and add as many sandwiches as will fit in the pan.
- Cook, 3 to 4 minutes, then flip them, add another teaspoon of oil to the pan, and cook, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a platter and repeat to cook the remaining sandwiches.
- Divide the spiced oil mixture evenly over the top of the sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich in half and serve immediately with a side of ketchup and/or chutney, if desired.