Curried Pork And Apple Stew
- 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed
- 4 medium tart green cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups packaged peeled baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 2-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (3 cups)
- Sour cream
- Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Peel, core, and chop two of the apples.
- In a pot brown pork, half at a time, in hot oil.
- Return all pork to pot.
- Add chopped apples, onions, curry powder, coriander, and cumin and cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, salt, and pepper and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots to pork mixture.
- Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut remaining apples into 1/4-inch-thick wedges.
- Add apple wedges and squash to pot and cook, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Top each serving with sour cream.