Curried Lentil Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Pinch salt
- Plain yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Small chile peppers and/or crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a Dutch oven, cook onion, chile pepper, garlic, and ginger in hot oil over medium heat until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients exposed yogurt and chile peppers.
- Bring mixture to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Top each serving with yogurt and garnish with chile peppers.