Cuban Black Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 7 cups water
- 1 pound dried black beans, rinsed thoroughly, soaked overnight
- 1 cup pulp-free orange juice
- 1 medium orange, zested
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tsp salt
- Toppings (optional) - tomato, red onion, jalapeno, sour cream
- Saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in oiled pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, cumin, oregano and black pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to slow cooker and stir in water, soaked beans, orange juice and zest.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add the vinegar, wine and salt and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve with toppings.