Creamy Potato Soup
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion or leek
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces Swiss-style cheese
- Ground black pepper
- Snipped mixed herbs
- 2 ounces baby Swiss cheese, thinly sliced (optional)
- In a saucepan cook onions in hot oil over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk together milk and flour.
- Add to onions and cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and broth.
- Bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat.
- Cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Transfer soup, half at a time, to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return pureed mixture to saucepan.
- Add shredded cheese and cook and stir over medium heat just until cheese is melted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with herbs.
- Garnish with sliced cheese.
- Serve at once.