Creamy Potato And Leek Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium potatoes, any type, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only, well rinsed and thinly sliced crosswise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken, beef, or vegetable stock or water
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives for garnish
- Put the butter in a pot over medium heat.
- When the butter melts, add the potatoes and leeks.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the leeks start to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the liquid bubbles.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cool the mixture slightly, then transfer it to a blender or food processor; work in batches if necessary to avoid filling the container more than two-thirds full.
- Start the machine at low or pulse to get the soup moving, then increase the speed.
- Puree the mixture.
- Return the soup to the pot, turn the heat to medium-low, and stir in the cream.
- Adjust the heat so the mixture barely bubbles but doesn't come to a full boil.
- Cook, stirring, just to heat everything through, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve, garnished with the chives.