Creamy Chicken-Vegetable Soup
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced leek or chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon snipped thyme or basil or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Cracked black pepper
- In a large saucepan cook celery, leek, and carrot in hot butter until tender.
- In a medium bowl gradually stir broth into flour.
- Stir flour mixture into vegetables in saucepan.
- Add milk, dried herb (if using), and salt and cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Stir in chicken, wine, and herb (if using).
- Cook for 2 minutes more.
- Season each serving with pepper.