Creamy Broccoli-Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons snipped basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan cook and stir broccoli, mushrooms, carrot, and onion in hot butter over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in flour, basil, and pepper.
- Add milk, half-and-half, Worcestershire sauce, and bouillon granules and cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in chicken.
- Heat through.
- Sprinkle each serving with coarsely ground pepper.