- 1 1/4 cups milk, or more as needed
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Heat the milk in the microwave or in a pot on the stove until it reaches 100 F; it will be hotter than lukewarm.
- Stir in the vinegar and let rest while preparing the other ingredients.
- Grease a square baking pan with some butter.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs into the soured milk.
- Stir the milk mixture into the dry ingredients just enough to combine everything.
- If the batter is very dry and doesn't come together easily, add another 1 or 2 tablespoons milk.
- Add the 4 tablespoons butter and stir until just incorporated; avoid overmixing.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spread into an even layer, and put in the oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the top is lightly browned, the sides have pulled away from the pan, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve hot or warm.