Coq Au Vin Stew
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- 1 envelope beefy onion soup mix (1/2 of a 2.2-ounce package)
- 1 1/2 cups loose-pack frozen small whole onions
- 2 cups button or wild mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Hot cooked mashed potatoes (optional)
- Snipped basil or parsley (optional)
- Lightly coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Preheat over medium heat.
- Cook chicken thighs, several at a time, in the hot skillet until brown.
- Drain fat.
- Place chicken thighs in a slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chicken with dry soup mix.
- Add onions and mushrooms.
- Pour wine over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker.
- Use a fork to remove chicken from bones.
- Discard bones.
- Shred chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Return chicken to cooker.
- Serve with hot mashed potatoes and sprinkle with basil.